Rc Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rc Addicts

A place for RC Addicts to sit back and discuss their hobby!

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Model discussion/gallery!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
musclecar201
Rc Master
musclecar201

Male Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Model discussion/gallery! Empty
PostSubject: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Well I've been working and my dad finished a cuda and i finished a corvette, I've also been working on a way to display my cars.

Model discussion/gallery! P4140004

Model discussion/gallery! P4140006

Model discussion/gallery! P4140007

Model discussion/gallery! P4140008

Model discussion/gallery! P4140009

Model discussion/gallery! P4140010

corvette
Model discussion/gallery! P5050004

Model discussion/gallery! P5050005

Model discussion/gallery! P5050006

Model discussion/gallery! P5050007

Model discussion/gallery! P5050008

Model discussion/gallery! P5050009

Model discussion/gallery! P5050010

Model discussion/gallery! P5050011

Model discussion/gallery! P5050012

Model discussion/gallery! P5050013

Model discussion/gallery! P5050014

Super bird! this was my first model ever done

IMG]https://2img.net/h/i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/blackstang11/Models/P2200001.jpg[/IMG]

Model discussion/gallery! P2200002

Model discussion/gallery! P2200003

Model discussion/gallery! P2200005

Model discussion/gallery! P2200006

Model discussion/gallery! P2200007

Model discussion/gallery! P2200008
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

Male Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Not bad, and you are doing some nice worrk.

Some tips to make you better, clean all of the flashing off of parts before you glue and paint things, and the results will look far better. Another thing it looks like you were glueing parts together when the paint was still wet, or you had a little bit of glue on your fingers. Things I found to help with that, like on the steering wheel is to put a little bit of glue on the part you will be glueing it to, then place the steering wheel on that part. Also for small parts use a tooth pick with some glue on it to add just a tiny amount (trust me it doesn't take very much glue to hold). One more thing try to paint things as late as you can, as to get everything glued up first, as the results will again look better.

Just wondering how long have you been buliding them?

Anyways here is one that I have done in the past, and that one won grand champ in the 4-H fair (later I went on to win in ever class, although I don't know why I didn't enter in any full blown comps yet). Also I have been building them for about 14 - 15 (come June) years (I started with the glue together kits when I was 6).

(sorry for the small pic's as that is when I was learning how to upload pic's)
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0036
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0020_edited
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0030
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0032
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0014_edited

I will have to take pic's of some of my other ones later in the week or next week. Also with all of this model talk I might have to build a few new ones, and finnish the ones I have been working on for a few years including one I was customizing slightly.
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Tue May 05, 2009 9:37 pm

Ok I found another one that I posted on xrc years ago.

Also the only thing painted on the outside of the car is the white, the rest of it is all decales or parts that were glued on (like the chrome parts)
Sadly that one is now broken. Also I never entered that one in any comps.
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0132
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0133
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0137
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0138
Model discussion/gallery! 000_0139
Back to top Go down
bar321
RC Pro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 am

first sweet cars to everyone second AWSOME dew car but il try to get some pics of a few of my models
Back to top Go down
musclecar201
Rc Master
musclecar201

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 pm

I've started building models since...January...lol. I know what you mean, I've been expirementing different ways and glues to assemble these, the hardest thing to glue on these things are the crap mirrors. Mad Another one of my problems is I try to put everything together before the other pieces is dry, which sometimes becomes a mess. I need to slow things down a bit. The corvette by far was the biggest PIA because the decals were extremely hard to put on and teared very easily, a lot easier said than done. I've started on a Jeep cj-7 so we will see how that one turns out.

From what I can tell in hte pics you do a great job, and your R/c bodies are fantastic so I'm sure it helps. BTW what type of masking tape do you use, mine tends to bleed through.
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2009 8:28 pm

For models I use painters tape, or other types of masking tape. For RC's I use liquid masking.

When you use tape you have to spray in very light coats, other wise it will bleed.

For glue I like to use this http://www.testors.com/product/136635/3502/_/Liquid_Cement_for_Plastic or I like to use CA glue (tire glue, super glue, etc) if I am in a hurry. Only issue with the CA glue is that a white residue will form on the part if your not carfull. I find that those glue hold better and flash dry faster so you can get things done a little faster. Although you will still need to wait atlease an hour before the glue cures almost all the way.

Another way to speed things up is to work a few steps ahead from where you are, so say you are working on the engine and waiting for it to dry start on the chassis, and so on as far as you can go (don't skip steps that require somthing you just bulit as that is where you should stop). Then when you can go back everything should be dry enough to work with. You might also want to paint the parts while they are on the tree to speed things up later, although you will still need to paint the areas that they were on the tree after you cut them off.

If you need anymore tips while you are buliding your current one, just ask as I should be able to help you out (after all, I have been buliding them most of my life).

Also I have been buliding models longer then how long I have been painting RC's or even how long I have been in the hobby (I have 15 years exp with model bulding, and 6 years in the RC hobby, and only 3 or 4 years painting RC's). I also wish my cam was better, as really if you could see my work in person you would faint.
Back to top Go down
sidewinder
RC Addict Staff
sidewinder

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2009 1:18 am

I did this one a while back, it was based on the Speedway race cars that used to go from fairground to fairground and race on the horse tracks. The back end is fabricated the way the real cars were. They had a wood frame covered in wire, they would put cotton padding underneath and stretch a canvas-like cloth over it (I had to use canvas since they don't make the original cloth anymore). Most of it is hand fabed. It's not painted except the hood and interior parts, I hand lettered it to make it look like the old cars that were built in barns and painted with a brush.
It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures but the canvas is stained with dirt from our local dirt track and I sprayed on thin coast of glue and blew dust on so it looks like it just came off of the track.

The upper right picture is what the model was supposed to look like if I'd followed the box instructions.
Model discussion/gallery! 1910special
Model discussion/gallery! Bitsprint101
Back to top Go down
http://www.rinohunter.com
musclecar201
Rc Master
musclecar201

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Lol no need for directions sidewinder Razz I never follow them anyway. It looks original though and the canvas seems like a good idea.

Evil

Yea i switch between their normal glue and the glue you posted up there. Seems to work rather well. I think I'm going to pick up some painters tape at the hardware store and give it a try. I've only been airbrushing for hte past 3 years so I'm still getting used to it, I need to pick up some new nozzles though for my metallic colors.
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Sidewinder that is a sweet custom bulid, and I really like the details in the way you made it look like it came off of the track.
Back to top Go down
sidewinder
RC Addict Staff
sidewinder

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks, I keep planning on building another vintage style racer for the Cleveland Model convention that Fine Scale Auto host (or at least sponsors) every year, I think the next one is getting a hand hammered sheet metal body, I'll proabaly paint it then rub off spots to let them rust. If I do it maybe I'll post a build thread.
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 2:49 pm

I hope you like a bunch of pic's. lol

Here are some that are from a few years ago (when I last bulit a model, back to about 8 years ago (the yellow camaro). Also they have some over spray from other painting projects, as well as dust being that they have been setting for a few years outside of a case (although the yellow super bee, has been in a case so it is nice and clean). Again sorry for the somewhat blurry pic's as my cam isn't very good. Also some of them have some broken parts, like the camaro has the front window and side mirror off of it (I still have them, just havn't put them back on yet), and then the huge battle ship with the 1/24th scale car next to it had some parts break off, and they wern't saveable (also that is one of the few models that when it broke was out of my hands, as the people who took it down to the state fair broke just because they wanted to shove it in a small box, and I was a little ticed as that was an $80+ Tamiya kit).

The GTO I did after my grampa passed away, so it wasn't up to par for my skill level. I also painted it in one of his favorite colors of candy apple red.

Also take note to some of the tires on the cars, as if you notice I sand down the contact surface to make it look as if the car was on the road or track (earlier models I didn't do that yet).

Enjoy.

Model discussion/gallery! 100_0944
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0945
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0946
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0947
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0948
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0949
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0950
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0952
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0953
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0955
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0956
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0957
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0958
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0959
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0961
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0962
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0963
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0964
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0965
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0966
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0967
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0968
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0969
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0970
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0971
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0972
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0973
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0974
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0975
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0976
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0977
Model discussion/gallery! 100_0978
Back to top Go down
rclugnut
Rc Master
rclugnut

Male Number of posts : 904

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 pm

dude you must have a HUGE house cuz no way that thing can be that small and look that real....

the lug
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks lug, and if you think they look great in the pic's you would be stunned at what they look like in person. lol
Back to top Go down
sidewinder
RC Addict Staff
sidewinder

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 11:48 pm

I love them all, but I really love the helicopter, very cool. I almost joined the Army right out of high school just to fly helicopters...I wanted to fly jets but you have to have 20/20 vision uncorrected...I don't. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Model discussion/gallery!   Model discussion/gallery! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Model discussion/gallery!
Page 1 of 1