Rc Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rc Addicts

A place for RC Addicts to sit back and discuss their hobby!

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rclugnut
Rc Master
rclugnut

Male Number of posts : 904
Registration date : 2008-07-10

ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:31 pm

I kid you not, i have done some ligitiment tesing and have proved this for a FACT. You CAN increase morot torque and speed, CHEEPLY. Just wrap some sheet metal (aluminum foil may work). Around the can of a brushed motor, and i have seen and heard a noticible increase in rmps and torque. I don't know what this does on draw and is probally not race legal but i suspect this is similar to the traxxas 550 motors becuase they are longer they get a bigger magnetic field = more power.
Very Happy Twisted Evil Exclamation
the lug
Back to top Go down
himoto guy
Rc noob
himoto guy

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:49 pm

ive known about that for awhile but ive never tried it myself
Back to top Go down
sidewinder
RC Addict Staff
sidewinder

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:43 am

If it's increasing the magnetic field then aluminum foil won't work because aluminum is non ferrous... but tin foil might. It's an interesting idea, I may have to play with it, thanks for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rinohunter.com
Micro-T Master
Admin
Micro-T Master

Male Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Sweet! Might have to fab something for the micro!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcaddictz.com
rclugnut
Rc Master
rclugnut

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:25 pm

i posted this on rcu as well and found out that trinity makes this exact thing
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGVU7&P=0

according to tower it lowers the rpm's as the torque increased i personally found the rpm's to go up but i'm gunna do sometesting next week...

the lug
Back to top Go down
evil3
I feel dizzy
evil3

Male Number of posts : 422

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:44 pm

If one goes up then the other normaly will go down.

What might have happend is that you were using too big of a pinion or too small of a spur on your, but when the torque came up on the motor you were in that motors operateing range (power band). So if you have a tall or low gear ratio then a torque motor is best used (reason BL motors can get away with really low gear ratios as they are torque monsters), and RPM based motors work better with short or high gear ratios. Wink

Also I wouldn't use it is racing, as that will trap heat in the motor, as then in a 5 min run the smoke might come out.
Back to top Go down
rclugnut
Rc Master
rclugnut

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:10 pm

the motors were just free running and what were using this for we could use a like a 27t or a 35t but the lowest i got is a 19t, well i got a 24t but idk if that works... so were stuck with this and it'll be for a short run so i'm not worried about heat tho were putting like 9v into them thru discharging capasitors, i'll post more on this later....

the lug
Back to top Go down
Micro-T Master
Admin
Micro-T Master

Male Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:12 pm

Sweet, ill be waiting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcaddictz.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1